About Kala Star Academics and Outdoor School
Parents and students will work with Kala Star staff and a Distributed Learning School of parent’s choice to help create a learning environment that caters to your family’s needs and to our Okanagan Lifestyle for students in grade 5-7.
The maximum student to Head Learner ratio will be 9:1 for each grade, with a third rotating Head Learner. Also, we will be collaborating as a whole group for community and environmental initiatives.
Kala Star provides:
- Opportunities for students to ‘build their base’ and begin obtaining superior employability skills in collaborating with others, solving problems, analyzing information, making choices, being creative, becoming intrinsically self-motivated and self-directed towards success.
- Real, life-long education and experiences with hands-on direct learning through local, national, and international community business, wellness, athletics, success, and life ‘experts’.
- Our students with the building blocks needed to continue to move forward as self-directed, self-motivated, self-aware, empathetic, and confident citizens within our community, and throughout the world.
- Fostering of self-motivation through personal and group success.
- Life connections where vast amount of learning takes place in and out of the school.
- An environment in which group expectations nurture a determined work ethic and quality; leading to academic, social, and physical successes.
- Opportunities and real-life experiences for students to take responsible risks and learn to become proficient Self-Directed Learners who, work collaboratively as team members.
- A renewed passion for life and learning
We believe children’s creativity is being lost in the ‘schooling is to be done at school’ formula. Kala Star is providing a learning environment where academics comes first, and where study breaks consist of paddle boarding, yoga, hiking, skiing, camping, biking, disc golfing, cross-country skiing, dancing, music, balancing, snowshoeing, skipping, quick feet drills, and core strength training. Basically, we will perform any and all body movements that facilitate information processing and memory functions. That’s right, true Daily Physical Activity (DPA). Why? Exercise affects the brain on multiple fronts. It increases heart rate, which pumps more oxygen to the brain. It also aids the bodily release of a plethora of hormones, all of which participate in aiding and providing a nourishing environment for the growth of brain cells. The Mind-Body connection we believe in, and we instill in our students and families.
The student to teacher ratio will be 9:1.
How does Kala Star help the Parent with Distributed Learning?
- Support student success and facilitate the learning process with distributed Learning School of parent’s choice.
- Inform parents of challenges with progress or curriculum.
- Maintain regular contact with Distributed Learning School staff.
- Work with your child to develop strategies to become a proficient Self-Directed learner, and Self-Motivator to ensure student success.
- Provide positive feedback and encouragement as well as constructive criticism.
Your schooling isn’t done at home or in a traditional school. Welcome to Kala Star Academics and Outdoor Learning School!